Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Need Africa More Than Africa Needs Me

Sweet, sweet Lydia.

The Mocha Club has a saying that hit me like a ton of bricks when I first read it...

I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

I had never thought about it that way before, but when I stopped and looked around me I realized it's so true. I realized how much I can learn from the suffering I'm seeing, from the people I'm meeting, and from the children I'm loving. I realized how much I'm going to change.

I need this change. I need this break from all things familiar. I need this displacement of my comfort zone (and I'm praying that I never find it again!). I need this NEED for God!
But guess what? God doesn't need me.
Let me say that once more...
God doesn't need me!
ItalicHis Kingdom is already happening here, and I'm just another tool to build it. He didn't need me to carry out the work He's doing in Uganda, and yet He still chose me.
He. Chose. Me.
ME. A broken, faulty vessel. And He, King of the universe looked down and said I want that one.
Does that give you chills? I know I get 'em every time I think about it!

Matthew 20:28 says "For the Son of Man did not come to BE served, but to SERVE."
If I have Christ as my example, then I should strive for nothing less then the extent of servant-hood He exhibited on earth. I should serve these people of Africa with my WHOLE HEART. Not because I'm a missionary. No, because I have Jesus as my example!
And guess what? I'm BLESSED! God chose me, led me to serve, gave me the resources to serve, gives me the strength to serve, and loves me through it all.
God's good, people! Amen?
And because no post would be complete without my beautiful children, here ya go :)

Moses and Janie.

Small Daphine and Esther.

Ronnie and I!

The babes.

Jane.

Love,

Mommy Pippin

3 comments:

  1. Pippin,
    All the pictures are sooooooo cute.
    I MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU.

    LOVE PERRI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pippen I swear we are connected not only in our passion but I think are brains are connected as well. I just sent the mocha club video that is on Orphan Sundays website to our pastors. I think that is totally what the Advent Conspiracy is all about. It just happens to be exactly what I feel like I experienced in Ethiopia. If people would just look at those with less and not see less but see the person!!!! I am glad you are promoting this organization, I am soon to do the same on my own blog. Miss you!

    Shonah

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be wonderful for you to be the connection to understanding because people don't have a personal connection otherwise. Seeing words are quite often not enough. It's seeing the person that makes this a human experience for them. And, you are the one with the perfect vision, and you are the ones to share it with all the rest of us. I've gained from by your simple post here.

    So, here's to you opening your window for all the rest of us to see!

    Yours, Ruth

    ReplyDelete